Are you ready to get a fresh start with your lawn and garden this year? If so dig into sustainable landscaping! If you are a new to the idea of sustainable landscaping what better way to be introduced than with the green landscaping trends for 2011? The Garden Writers Association has chosen six green landscaping trends for 2011 and they are as follows:
- Gardening with a purpose: Growing your own food, creating urban sanctuaries and planting for a greener good to change neighborhoods and communities.
- Eco-scaping: The move to de-lawn large tracks of turf and transform lawns into sustainable landscapes…” is a great way to improve the look of your yard in a sustainable way. Installing a living wall made up of green retaining wall blocks is a great way to replace stretches of grass with eco-friendly plants that will both beatify your yard and save water.
- Sustainable containers: For smaller plants,B reused food containers for example and for bigger plants or blocks of plants, containers made from recycled materials.
- Succulent: Using plants in the succulent class will help save water over time because they retain water in their leaves, stems, and roots. They are considered by many to be some of the easiest plants to care for.
- Vertical gardening: Allows gardeners with limited space the ability to grow various plants with the benefits of improved air quality and lower energy consumption.
- New urbanism: The promotion of walkable city neighborhoods, reclaiming vacant lots, opening parks and creating mixed-use cities.